Teach at English-by-Phone / Zamenhof.net
We are seeking experienced teachers dedicated to helping students learn English
Teaching within the Zamenhof Network provides you with an exciting and rewarding opportunity to work from home in the fastgrowing world of online education. We know that our teachers are also busy people, so we’ve made teaching with Zamenhof.net both flexible and convenient. Using the Internet, we’ve bridged the gaps between countries so that you can teach according to your own schedule and in the comfort of your home or office!
The Zamenhof Network is not an ordinary online language school, providing lessons directly to students; instead, the network acts as an intermediary between teachers and academic institutions.
In addition to creating a network of language teachers, Zamenhof provides course content, management software and a workflow solution.
The Zamenhof Network is actively recruiting talented and enthusiastic teachers who wish to teach their native language in a one-on-one online setting. This application form is your opportunity to tell us about yourself and your qualifications. You will be asked about your experience, qualifications, and hours of availability. Before inviting an applicant to join our network, we will organize a test lesson with one of our administrators or a regular student.
Desired teacher profile:
- Native speaker (mandatory)
- You must have a Language teaching certification issued by a well know organization
- At least 20 hours of availability per week
- Experience teaching language to adults at all levels
- Reliable, high-speed (at least 2 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload) Internet connection and a quiet, private working space; sound capabilities with audio headset
- Moderate to high comfort using online programs and technology
- Speaking a second language is highly appreciated
Type of work:
Independent contractor, subject to a consulting services agreement
Contracting company: ESL Teacher Online LLC
Anywhere, no special work permissions required
Questions & Answers
What will my schedule be and how many hours a day will I teach?
You decide! You can set your availability from the online teacher’s panel. For example, if you can work from Monday through Friday 6:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. the software will allow administrators to schedule students with you only during that time frame.
If you have an appointment on Friday at 6:00 p.m. on a specific date, you can simply log in to your account and remove this time period from your available days and hours.
Note that we do not accept teachers who offer fewer than twenty hours available days and times. Another frequent problem is that some teachers’ schedules are too irregular to match our students’ needs. For example, if you work only Monday at 7:00 a.m., Wednesday at 6:00 p.m., and Saturday at midnight, we will probably not be able to find students to match your schedule. Therefore, it will not be possible for us to work with you.
How long does it take to get a full schedule?
It depends on your availability, but it usually takes about two weeks. During the first week, we usually go slowly because we want to make sure that you are reliable. Additionally, we need to gather feedback the academic advisor who monitored your first lessons and from your first students. After the first week, if the feedback is positive and if you are are making your calls on time, we will attempt to fill your schedule within the next week.
Who will I be teaching?
The majority of our students are professionals ranging in age from 25 to 45. However, we also attract some students who wish to improve their language skills in hopes of studying overseas or becoming more marketable once they enter the workforce. Most have studied a foreign language during their academic careers; but lack proficient conversational skills.
We always do an evaluation before matching a student with you. Our evaluators talk with prospective students to learn their preferences and abilities and to ensure that the students’ language ability is high enough to take lessons with a native speaker. This way, we try to make sure there are few surprises for either teachers or students.
What teaching styles are used at Zamenhof.net?
Your students will already have a background in the language you are teaching. In general, students will have already studied the language’s theory, but they may need your help to formulate what they want to say.
Review the step-by-step teaching guide in this post:
What do I need in order to teach online?
At Zamenhof.net, we want to maximize the learning experience for our students. Therefore, it’s of the utmost importance that students are able to hear you clearly
- Windows Vista or higher; Mac users are eligible
- Intel Core 2 Duo or higher, 2GB RAM.
- Web camera and headset with microphone
- Dedicated and stable Internet connection
- Hardwired Internet connection; wireless access is aceptable as long as a hardwired option is readily available
- Network connection of at least 2 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload bandwidth
While online, every session must be treated as if you were going to a regular office. Therefore, audio and visual distraction must not interfere with the quality of the session. Telephones, televisions, radios, loud fans, loud people (children and significant others), cars on the street, or animals should not be interfering with your lesson.
What is the compensation rate per lesson?
The teacher’s salary depends on the package renewal rate. Whenever a student purchases a package of at least four lessons, the teacher will receive a higher salary per lesson.
When a student purchases a package of eight lessons with Teacher A from the General Topic courses database. Teacher A will receive $6 per lesson.
The same student goes on to purchase a second package of eight lessons with Teacher A. Teacher A will receive $6.50 per lesson.
Note that a package must consist of at least four lessons in order to count as a renewal.
The following is the full list of salaries per lesson of 25 minutes:
Package 1: $6.00
Package 2: $6.50
Package 3: $7.00
Package 4: $7.50
Package 5+: $8.00
Package 1: $8.00
Package 2: $8.50
Package 3: $9.00
Package 4: $9.50
Package 5+: $10.00
Package 1: $7.00
Package 2: $7.50
Package 3: $8.00
Package 4: $8.50
Package 5+: $9.00
The salary for the previous week is paid every Wednesday via PayPal or Skrill.
Zamenhof.net is an American company. We are registered in the state of Nevada as ESL Teacher Online LLC.
The company was established in 2007 and, at first, worked primarily with students in Russia. Since 2010, however, we have been expanding our operations. We now have a presence in Italy, Korea, Brazil, Ukraine, France, and the province of Quebec in Canada.
Through our powerful software, Zamenhof.net is currently serving more than 850 students. We have 62 teachers on staff, and we offer an average of approximately 10,000 lessons each and every month.
IMPORTANT: Read before registering
Please make sure that you agree to all these conditions before you fill out the application form.
- We work ONLY with teachers who are available for a minimum of twenty hours per week.We work only with teachers who are available for a minimum of 20 hours per week.
- Ideally, we prefer that you be available consistently every business day at the same time (6:00 p.m. until 11:30 p.m., Monday through Friday).
- The salary for teaching conversational lessons ranges from $6 to $8 per 25-minute lesson, depending on the teacher’s renewal rate.
- The salary for teaching language lessons for specific purposes is flexible depending on your course and your qualification.
- The salary per evaluation is $2 plus a bonus of $6 if the evaluation turns into a sale.
- Note that you must teach a minimum of three months of conversational lessons before you may apply for the specific-purposes programs.
- You need a good Internet connection (2 Mbps download/1 Mbps upload speed) and a quiet place to work.
- We reserve the right to cancel a lesson up to 12 hours before it is scheduled to take place without offering compensation. If, however, we cancel the lesson less than 12 hours before it is scheduled to take place, you will be compensated for that lesson.